Background Check Information
Mandatory for CoachesUpdated Thursday August 9, 2018 by MGSA.
Changes in the laws to protect children in the state of Pennsylvania now require coaches and assistant coaches to complete clearances according to guidelines by the state of PA.
- If you are already volunteering, you have until April 22, 2018 to obtain certificates.
- If your certifications are older than 5 years, you have until April 22, 2018 to obtain certificates.
Here are links for information and links to get your clearances:
Website with information:
PA Dept. of Human Services
Which certifications are needed?
All prospective volunteers must obtain the following certifications:
- Report of criminal history from the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP)
- Child Abuse History certification from the Department of Human Services (Child Abuse).
Additionally, a fingerprint based federal criminal history (FBI) submitted through the Pennsylvania State Police or its authorized agent is NOT required as long as:
- The position the volunteer is applying for is an unpaid position; AND the volunteer has been a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for the entirety of the previous 10 years.
- If you do not need the FBI clearance, please complete and turn in the Volunteer Verification exemption
- If you have not been a resident of PA for the previous 10 years, here is the link for the fingerprint clearance: